- Client Representations
- News & Publications
Rita W. Garry is a seasoned corporate, transactional and data privacy attorney and is the trusted legal advisor to a wide variety of business enterprises across an array of industries, including professional services, banking and finance, healthcare, manufacturing, technology, aviation supply, craft breweries, not-for-profit trade associations and multinational gift card distributor. Rita builds strategic and long-term relationships with clients to create corporate governance, risk awareness, and legal compliance infrastructures for her clients to promote their stability, growth, risk mitigation, and future transitional planning for both strategic and private equity sales, mergers, and acquisitions. Rita’s extensive work with a diverse client base involves many enterprise matters including choice of entity and governance, employment, finance, real estate, commercial contracting, software licensing, transactions, and, most recently, data privacy and cybersecurity compliance.
As the importance of data management and privacy laws has grown, Rita guides enterprise clients, both internationally and nationally, in designing and operationalizing data management and protection law compliance programs, including those related to GLBA, HIPPA, GDPR and CCPA, among others. Also, since business data is frequently stored, processed, and shared with customers, vendors and other service providers, Rita works with clients to manage data protection in their contractual arrangement to help manage privacy law compliance.
Rita prides herself on being the trusted advisor to an array of business enterprises, helping them execute business goals strategically and collaboratively with strength, stability, and tools to grow and thrive in ever increasingly complex, competitive, and regulated environments.
- Represented regional multi-clinic veterinarian practice in national roll-up and $30 million debt and equity finance transaction
- Represented seller of clinical drug trial management company in reverse triangular merger transaction with publicly traded acquiror
- Provided 15 years of general counsel services to international gift card fulfillment distributor leading up to $25 million private equity sale transaction
- Led successful computer fraud and cybersecurity insurance recovery efforts in multi-million-dollar cybersecurity incidents
- Led negotiations and drafting for international joint venture between US FAA certified repair station and French original equipment manufacturer of commercial aircraft wheel and brake assemblies
- Rita W. Garry, Interviewed for The Cyberwire Podcast Caveat on June 9th
- Where Is the Consumer In Consumer Privacy Legislation?
- Rita W. Garry, Webinar Speaker for Financial Poise on June 8th
- RSP Welcomes Seasoned Attorney Rita W. Garry to Business Transactions Group
- August 2020 – Presenter and Author; “Contact Tracing and Privacy,” Freeborn & Peters Emerging Technologies Webinar
- January 2020 – Author; “The Data Diet Resolution,” Freeborn & Peters Client Alert
- December 2019 – Author; “CCPA: Are You Covered?” Freeborn & Peters Client Alert
- January 2018 – Presenter; “Regulation A+ vs. Crowdfunding: Exploring Similarities and Differences”.
- February 2018 – Author; “GDPR: A Four-Letter Word,” Freeborn & Peters Client Alert
- May 2018 – Panelist; “GDPR Impacts on Cybersecurity,” BlackBerry Cybersecurity Summit
- May 2018 – Panelist; Thomson Reuters; “GDPR Compliance”
- May 2015 – Presenter; “Startups & LLCs,” and “Preparing a Business for Crowdfunding,” Entrepreneurs Unpluggd Law Summits
- May & June 2015 – Author and Presenter; “Handling the Sale of a Business,” and “Tax Advantages of LLCs,” National Business Institute
- April & June 2012 – Author; Professional Businesses Claims Grow-Alter Practices” and “The JOBS Act Takes A Look at “Crowdfunding,” Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, Lawyers Forum Columnist
- November 2012 – Author and Presenter; “Preparing to Sell a Small to Mid-sixed Business,” National Business Institute