- Client Representation
- News & Publications
Blog: Harp-On This
R. Kymn Harp is a member of RSP’s Management Committee and serves as Chair of the firm’s Business and Real Estate Transactions practice group.
Kymn has over 40 years of experience representing investors, developers, business owners, and other stakeholders in all aspects of commercial real estate. His practice is focused on representing clients in complex commercial real estate transactions, including financing, loan workouts, general business representation, sale, purchase, exchange, leasing, development and redevelopment including both ground-up projects and value-add adaptive reuse of existing properties. Kymn has handled the purchase, sale, and development of numerous shopping centers, stand-alone retail properties, restaurants and entertainment focused projects, multi-family projects, vacant development sites, and mixed-use developments.
Kymn regularly structures and handles Section 1031 tax-deferred exchanges, tenants-in-common agreements, real estate entities qualifying as Qualified Opportunity Zone (QOZ) businesses, and other complex structures. He has extensive experience drafting Private Placement Memorandums (PPMs) to raise private capital for real estate acquisition and development.
To meet the current needs of multifamily investor clients, Kymn has gained substantial experience handling acquisitions and financing of condominium properties for deconversion through bulk purchase, including pursuant to Section 15 of the Condominium Property Act.
Kymn also has extensive knowledge of the Illinois Limited Liability Company Act and structuring LLC agreements to maximize asset protection benefits. Additionally, Kymn has significant experience handling commercial litigation matters, giving him useful insights for structuring complex transactions and ownership entities, and for providing strategic guidance to the firm’s commercial real estate litigators.
Widely recognized as a thought-leader in the legal community, Kymn is a frequent author and speaker for the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (IICLE), and the Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA). He also is the author of a legal and business blog at Harp-OnThis.com. Kymn has published numerous articles and white papers on real estate topics and two books on commercial real estate including Illinois Commercial Real Estate – Due Diligence to Closing, with Checklists, 2016 Edition. He currently serves as an appointed member of the Illinois State Bar Association Real Estate Section Council.
- Lead development counsel for the ground-up development of Sears Centre Arena in Hoffman Estates, Illinois.
- Lead redevelopment counsel for adaptive reuse of the commercial portions of the Marina City complex in downtown Chicago, Illinois.
- R. Kymn Harp publishes Condominiums: Deconversion (IL) With Practical Law Real Estate
- R. Kymn Harp, Moderator and Speaker at IICLE® #CRETrends 2019 on September 10th
- R. Kymn Harp Publishes Guide to Section 1031-Tax-Deferred Exchanges for Real Estate On LoopNet
- Before Closing: Consider A Tax-Deferred Exchange
- R. Kymn Harp Appointed to ISBA Real Estate Law Section Council: 2019-2020
- Illinois Condominium Deconversion-Getting It Right: An Overview